Lou's Place in Cyberspace
CASTLE VALLEY MILL
THIRD FLOOR-LARGE HOPPER
A large wooden hopper is located on the third floor adjacent to the structural timbers which once were the rear wall of the original mill before it was extended after 1879. This hopper probably was installed when the original mill was built.
The original smaller mill was an "oil mill", grinding bitternut’s to extract their oils. This may have been the original hopper used for this. From the discharge hole in the floor either Bitternuts or corn could have passed to the second floor.
The front section of the hopper is missing, but it likely once had a devise to shut off the flow of product from this hopper. From its size it appears it could hold twenty or more bushels.
The chute which fed this hopper is missing, but it appears it was fed from the Front Left Elevator, which like the Rear Central Elevator, had a multi-directional chute tray. A single diagonal chute would have connected the elevator head directly to the hopper.
Large hopper. The front wall of this hopper is presently missing.
In the front of this hopper is a vertical, foldable, vertical post suspended from the rafters. There is a hole for what must have been a pulley shaft and removable pulley. Its use is uncertain, but it may have been part of the hopper gate opening device to control the amount of product released from the hopper.
Overhead view of Large Hopper. To its left is what was one of the original rear window frames.
The hopper is mounted beside part of the timber framing which was once the rear wall of the original mill. The mill was extended rearwards after 1879. Some of the original structural posts and beams have been removed but the notches in the structure show where they were once located.
On the large horizontal timber, shown as a diagonal in the above illustration, going to the left bottom corner, is a heavy metal bolting clamp securing the outside wall vertical timbers to the horizontal cross beam.
This brace was likely installed at the time the mill was extended to further secure the original, old structure of the original mill.
Wall support brace on horizontal structural timber located next to Large Hopper.
Photo of brace mounted to south wall.
Interior of hopper, front wall missing, showing hole to second floor.
Side view of hopper, with old original window frame in foreground.
Hopper is mounted next to the structure that was once the rear wall of the original mill. The mill was extended to the rear (Right of photo) after 1879.