Lou's Place in Cyberspace
CASTLE VALLEY MILL
View of mill 2006
The foundation of the mill is constructed of stone. Its wall’s are twenty inches thick from the basement, extending eight feet above the front ground level. The stonework was once covered with light colored stucco. Some of it is still intact.
The floor joists for the second floor are imbedded into the stonework walls. From the second floor up, the mill is of timber frame construction. Most main support timbers are of 12"X12" Oak that has shrunk over the years to ten or eleven inches square. Over the upper wall framework are six inch wide, one inch thick vertical planks that are deteriorated, but mostly intact. Some wall sills for the wooden framework are rotted from weather exposure. The windows are all in fragile condition, seriously weathered.
Henry Fischer replaced most of the windows in the 1950’s. The slate roof is still in fairly good condition being with some pieces missing.
The mill is situated along the east/west axis with Neshaminy Creek perpendicular at the rear, with the mill dam located about seventy-five south of the building.
The mill dam and concrete millrace added about 1880 are deteriorated and in need of repair.
1-COMPUTER ILLUSTRATION OF ORIGINAL MILL PRIOR TO EXPANSION C-1850.
2-ORIGINAL MILL WITH UNDERSHOT WHEEL AND SLUICE FROM DAM. IT IS UNCERTAIN IT THIRD FLOOR EXISTED AT THIS TIME.
3- MILL AS IT APPEARED AFTER THE ANNEX WAS ADDED FOR STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE C-1870.
4-MILL AFTER SAWMILL AND WAGON SHED WERE ADDED TO THE SOUTH CIDE-CIRCA1880.
5-VIEW OF SAWMILL AND WAGON SHED.
6- VIEW FROM CREEK SHOWING CONCRETE RACE, SAWMILL AND WAGON SHED ON SOUTH SIDE OF MILL.
7-VIEW OF FRONT 1880
8-MILL AS IT APPEARED AFTER RENOVATIONS DURING 1950’S. STATIONARY ENGINE AND BOILERS WERE REMOVED FROM ANNEX BETWEEN 1938-40 AS SCRAP METAL. ANNEX WINDOWS WERE RECONFIGURED AND OFFICE CHIMNEY REMOVED AFTER RENOVATIONS BY HENRY FISCHER C-1952.
9-SOUTH SIDE OF MILL C-1952.
10-REAR OF MILL C-1952
11-NORTH SIDE OF MILL SHOWING TAIL RACE. NOTE BRICKED-UP WALL SECTION ON ANNEX REAR WALL WHERE STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE BOILER WAS REMOVED (SEE PHOTO 22)
12-VIEW LOOKING UPSTREAM (SOUTH) FROM THE REAR OF MILL 2006.
13- VIEW OF MILL DAM AND RACE, SHOWING DETERIORATED CONDITION.
14- RACE AND DAM FLOODINGC-1950
15-FRONT OF MILL SHOWING SAWMILL AND WAGON SHED ON LEFT, AND THE ANNEX EXTENSION ON RIGHT FOR THE STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE BOILER. NOTE THE LARGE CHIMNEY. THE EXTENSIONS WERE ADDED AFTER THE MILL WAS PURCHASED BY THE REED BROTHERS IN 1852. (SEE HISTORY) GROUND LEVEL IN FRONT OF THE MILL WAS LOWER THAN IT IS TODAY. PEOPLE IN PHOTO MAY BE JAMES REED AND WIFE WITH DAUGHTER EMMA.
16-SOUTH SIDE OF MILL LOOKING DOWNSTREAM C-1890
17-MILL FRONT 1900-1920
18-REAR OF MILL C-1900-1920. NOTE REAR WALL OF ANNEX DOES NOT SHOW BRICK PATCHWORK, INDICATING STEAM ENGINE BOILER WAS STILL IN ANNEX AT THIS TIME. (SEE PHOTO 22) DAM APPEARS IN GOOD CONDITION
21-THIS PHOTO SHOWS RENOVATIONS UNDERWAY BY HENRY FISCHER C-1950.
22--BRICKED-UP SECTION OF ORIGINAL ANNEX REAR STONE WALL FOUNDATION. I BELIEVE IT WAS FROM HERE THAT THE STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE BOILER WAS REMOVED BETWEEN 1938-1940.